06 December, 2018
- Eat a Variety of FoodsYou may have a favourite food, but the best choice is to eat a variety. If you eat different foods, you are more likely to get the nutrients your body needs. Taste new foods and old ones you have not tried for a while. Some foods, such as green vegetables, may taste better the older you get. But that does not mean children do not need to take vegetables. It is good to make sure your meal has a big portion of vegetables. These may include spinach, sukuma wiki, amaranth, broccoli, carrots (raw or steamed and many others that are popular with your family or culture). Always eat fruits that are in season. Remember a banana a day, just like an apple, keeps the doctor away.
- Drink Water and MilkWhen you are really thirsty, cold water is the best thirst-quencher. Kids need calcium to build strong bones, and milk is a great source of this mineral. How much do kids need? If you are over 1 year old a packet of milk a day is adequate.If you want something other than milk or water once in a while, it is okay to have 100% fruit juice but not juices with preservatives. Avoid sugary drinks like sodas, preserved juice cocktails, and fruit punches. They contain a lot of added sugar. Sugar just adds calories and not any important nutrients.
- Listen to Your BodyWhat does it feel like to be full? When you are eating, notice how your body feels and when your stomach feels comfortably full. Sometimes, people eat too much because they do not notice when they need to stop eating. Eating too much can make you feel uncomfortable and can lead to unhealthy weight gain.
- Limit Screen TimeWhat’s screen time? It is the amount of time you spend watching TV or DVDs, playing video games (console systems or handheld games), and using a smart phone, tablet, or computer. The more time you spend on these sitting-down activities, the less time you have for activities like basketball, bike riding, and swimming. Try to spend no more than 2 hours a day on screen time, not counting computer use related to school and educational activities.
- Be ActiveOne job you have as a kid, and it is fun – is that you get to figure out which activities you like best. Not everyone loves baseball or soccer. Maybe your passion is karate, or rugby or dancing. Ask your parents to help you do your favourite activities regularly. Find ways to be active every day. You might even write down a list of fun stuff to do, so you can use it when your mom or dad says it is time to stop watching TV or playing computer games!Speaking of parents, they can be a big help if you want to be a fit kid. For instance, they can stock the house with healthy foods and plan physical activities for the family. Tell your parents about these five ways or steps to remain healthy and maybe you can teach them a thing or two.