The two year child and adolescent counselling option course will be offered to trainees undertaking a diploma in counselling, child and adolescent option at Gertrude’s Institute of child health. This course will enable the trainees to offer the services to children and adolescents in schools health institutions, children rehabilitation centres, homes, work places among others.
The major goal of this course is maintaining optimum children’s mental health. Through adolescent and child counseling option, trainees will acquire knowledge of issues unique to children and adolescents and how to respond to this group more appropriately. They will also acquire skills, attitudes and values that will enable them help clients face day to day challenges.
Child and adolescent counseling option course will be taught by carrying out child and adolescent activities rather than just giving facts to trainees. The course will comprise theories and practice offered for 890 hours inclusive of practicum and a research project. The curriculum has been developed in theoretical units and clinical placement based on the concept that the child is a whole person and a member of the family and community
Suggested teaching materials and training resources, evaluation methods, and teaching and learning activities have been suggested but the trainee should as much as possible use resources from his local environment.
To produce graduates who have the requisite skills to become professional child counselors who can work in schools, hospitals, children organizations and institutions to ensure children’s mental health.
Expected Learning Outcomes of the Programme
At the end of the course, the learner shall be able to;
- Acquire knowledge in counseling
- Integrate the different models and theories in counseling
- Demonstrate the ability to establish a therapeutic relationship
- Apply the knowledge and skills acquired in psychological testing and assessment.
- Apply the knowledge and skills acquired in child and adolescent counseling
- Understand the common psychological challenges faced by children and adolescents in different developmental stages.
Eligible Applicants and Number:
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education Mean grade of C Plain
- Doctors, Nurses, Clinical officers, Counselors, nutritionists,teachers who would like to take an extra course in counselling
Duration of the Course:
2 and a half years
Psychosocial Counsellors, Doctors, Paediatric/Child Specialists and Lecturers
The course will be offered at the Gertrude’s Institute of Child Health and Research, Muthaiga.
Scheduled dates for the Courses:
September every year
Apply now to:
Gertrude’s Institute of Child Health and Research
P.O.Box 42325 -00100
Tel: (+254) 759297589
With Ksh 1000/- Non Refundable application fee